THE CHARTER IS A DECLARATION OF OUR
MISSION, VALUES AND STANDARDS AND OUR COMMITMENT TO ACHIEVE EXCELLENCE IN THE
FORMULATION AND IMPLEMENTATION OF CENTRAL EXCISE & CUSTOMS POLICIES & PROCEDURES
FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE TRADE & INDUSTRY WHO ARE OUR PARTNERS IN PROGRESS
WE SHALL CARRY OUT OUR TASKS
- Integrity and judiciousness
- courtesy and understanding
- objectivity and transparency
- promptness and efficiency
We shall encourage and assist voluntary tax
compliance by our clients.
We expect you to be prompt and reasonable in
fulfilling your duty and legal obligations and honest in furnishing information
- Acknowledge declarations, intimations,
applications, returns and all communications on the spot and in any case
within 7 days of their receipt.
- Respond to all communication within 15 working
days of its receipt.
- Settle any disputes relating to declarations or
assessments within 10 working days of receipt of your written or oral
- Refund amounts due to you within 48 hours of the
export of the goods in case of electronic declarations and 15 days in case of
- Release, where your declaration relating to any
consignment is complete and consignment is complete and correct,
-in case of exports, within 8 hours of filling an
electronic declaration or within 24 hours of filing a paper
-in case of imports, within 24 hours of filling an electronic
declaration or within 72 hours of filing a paper
- Complete excise registration formalities within 48
hours of receiving your application.
- Return to you the input duty documents on which
MODVAT credit has been availed of within 7 days of your submission.
- Complete examination and clearance of your export
consignment at your factory premises, whenever you seek such a facility,
within 8 hours of receiving intimation.
- Give you 15 days advance intimation before we
undertake audit of your records.
In case of likely or inevitable delay in decision
making or when an issue is disputed, we shall promptly communicate the reasons
on our own initiative.
WE FURTHER COMMIT
- All uniformed officers who deal with the public
will wear name badges and carry an Identity Card.
- Personal and business information disclosed to us
will be kept confidential.
- Clearance of consignments will be withheld only
after explaining the reasons for the same and will give you full opportunity
to explain before passing any final order.
- Assesses in the small scale sector will be visited
only with proper authority from senior officers.
- Your tax compliance record will be recognized and
security/surety will not be insisted upon.
- Passengers can walk through customs expecting
courtesy, fairness and consideration.
- Baggage of international passengers will be opened
only after explaining the reasons and in their presence.
- We will help in repacking baggage if we have made
you unpack them.
- We will explain the reasons if we need to search
you and offer our own search before it.
- Investigations and penalty proceedings will be
initiated only after senior officers of the Department are satisfied that
prima facie evidence exists.
- The investigating officer will
- explain the legal provisions and your rights
- seek confirmatory information by personal
- No seized document will be withheld beyond 60 days
except where they are to be relied upon in departmental proceedings.
- We will provide full information about appeal
procedures and the authorities with whom appeals can be filled.
- We will continually consult all commercial
interests while reviewing our policies and provide timely publicity of all
changes in the law or procedures.
- Every possible assistance will be rendered by the
Public Relations Officer in the Divisional Office/commissionerate
Office/Custom House (the name and telephone number of the Public Relations
Officer will be prominently displayed at such offices by providing all
relevant information and details of procedures as may be required.
- Our performance will be measured against these
standards and independent surveys of clients' perception and assessment of our
performance and the results will be publicized through the media.
We will promptly acknowledge your complaints and
within 30 working days of their receipt, provide final replies.
If you have a complaint or grievance you may also
take up the matter with the Public Grievances Committee headed by the
A network of Guidance Units set up in the office of
each head of Customs and Central Excise will provide help and assistance in
Customs and Central Excise matters.